Thursday, June 26, 2008

The 2008 Flood

I never thought I'd see the day when they would pull a damn boat up to my front door and rescue my family, but I did. This month, we experienced unbelievable flooding. We had nearly ten inches of rain in one night! When my husband and I went out to get into the car to leave for work one Saturday morning, the lightning strikes illuminated the fact that we were stranded! So many homes in our town were destroyed by the rushing water. Our garage was underwater...all our gardens and shed were destroyed. We were fortunate enough that our house didn't get water in it. We had 1/2 inch at all doorways to go! We did have flood insurance....WITH A $5,000 DEDUCTIBLE. FEMA has rejected us. Hopefully an SBA disaster loan will cover it before the mold in our crawlspace takes over. This was our first natural disaster and hopefully it will be our last!

No comments: