Saturday, September 4, 2010

Family Recipes

I was just perusing my old recipe box. Alone at home in the middle of the night and digging through family recipes typically makes me think of my dead father and his love for cooking. Then I usually end up drowning in a sea of mournful despair...remembering him....thinking of how much I'd love to see him again and share recipes...and tell him how sorry I am for all the mean things I ever said to him. It's a pitiful display of spontaneous sobbing grief. It's a ritual that I should be smart enough to stop recreating!
Tonight is different. I think he'd enjoy this. I'm looking at his recipe for "Pickled Mushrooms". Now this is a recipe that he wrote down for me in his own words. I am writing it down as he did, so be prepared for a few expletives. Here it is.

Pickled Mushrooms
Ingredients: 1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Chopped pimento
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
4 garlic cloves minced
8 drops hot pepper sauce
1 medium onion sliced into rings
2 4oz jars of Green Giant whole mushrooms drained
Directions: Except onions and mushrooms, place other ingredients in a 1 quart jar and shake until well blended. Then add mushrooms and onions. Chill this crap at least overnight.
For a genuine case of the drizzly shits, double the recipe, don't let anyone else have any and eat both jars while drinking a case of Mickey's Wide Mouths.
Stock up on Charmin!
So there you have it...a family recipe from the master...Mike Jones. I miss my dad so badly sometimes that I don't think I will ever get over his sudden tragic passing. Then I remember what a goofball he was and how much humor and cooking skill he passed down to me. That makes my heart break a little less on nights like this.

No comments: