Wednesday, January 23, 2008

For the Love of Dogs

Anna, Betsy, Holly, Annie, Taz, Icky, Rowsby-Woof, Jubal Early, Ruby Slipper, Cooper, Hank. So many dogs have taken residency in my life. They've passed in and out; each leaving a distinct impression on my heart. I can still tell you all their quirks, favorite foods, bad habits, and health problems. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember the day that Anna bit Jamie Toby on the face. I can remember Betsy sleeping between my parents and the day my Aunt Nancy came over to help with my brother and I because my mom was falling apart over Betsy's death. I remember Annie. God...I remember Annie. Such a sweet Black Lab/Irish Setter mix. My constant companion as a teenager died of lung cancer. Taz was rescued from a parking lot and could fit four squeeky toys in his dachsund mix mouth. He was also a sandwich thief (he only took the top piece of bread!). Icky...the speckled Beagle. After we went to get her, the rest of the litter was left to die in the hot sun. Taz and Icky were sometimes my father's only friends when he was between wives, girlfriends, and benders. Of course Jubal is sitting right next to me...the super dog....the cosmically connected English speaking dog. Ruby, bless her heart, victim to a passing car was here only 13 weeks. Cooper and Hank are about to dedicate their lives to medical research if they don't start pooping OUTSIDE. There is, however, a pooch that stands out above the rest. It's Rowsby-woof. Today is her birthday. She would have been 14. God I miss her and her extreme understanding of me and my heart. I knew she would be gone eventually, but I had no idea of the impact it would have on my life. Isn't it amazing what you choose to put on a back burner? Rest in peace, Miss Woof. Love, Mom

No comments: